Should we Break the Professional Façade When at Work?
At some point I'm sure we've all wondered where the line is between keeping personal information personal and not being closed off in the working environment. While this can be a difficult skill to develop, practicing social awareness, and emotional maturity will allow us to be personable and relatable in the workplace without oversharing or creating tension.
When I first began working at my current job, I was extremely reserved because I saw no reason to share any personal information. I was wrong in thinking this way. Especially in the field of advertising, our own personal interests and experiences can truly be considered strong assets. Growing up between the American culture that we're all familiar with and the Mexican culture that my parents raised me with allowed me to become involved in an international project and added a new, helpful perspective to the team. Had I not mentioned these personal aspects of myself, the Account Director would not have seen me as a possible asset on this project.
Beyond our current roles, staying open and friendly will also help us achieve our long term goals. Without seeming unhappy in our current positions, sharing your aspirations and interests will make upward mobility more possible. Sharing this information will help you build a positive rapport with others in the company and this in turn will make work more enjoyable for you. Through my own personal experiences, having a positive rapport with people I work with has given me opportunities that I otherwise would not have, and has also allowed me to assume responsibilities that were not initially a part of my role.
While getting friendly with coworkers may seem daunting at first, it is an easy, smooth process that may be achieved by anyone. We spend the majority of our days with those we work with so why not get to know them a bit? Conversations can start at the company Keurig or at the end of a meeting. Simply by greeting a person and asking about their day, weekend, or a project they're working on, you can begin to build a positive rapport. If you're ever unsure about whether or not something should be said, it's probably best to just keep it to yourself. These opinions can later be shared with a friend we don't work with. Over time, these frequent positive interactions will strengthen your working relationship and allow you to reap the professional benefits of being a friendly and personable coworker.
When I first began working at my current job, I was extremely reserved because I saw no reason to share any personal information. I was wrong in thinking this way. Especially in the field of advertising, our own personal interests and experiences can truly be considered strong assets. Growing up between the American culture that we're all familiar with and the Mexican culture that my parents raised me with allowed me to become involved in an international project and added a new, helpful perspective to the team. Had I not mentioned these personal aspects of myself, the Account Director would not have seen me as a possible asset on this project.
Beyond our current roles, staying open and friendly will also help us achieve our long term goals. Without seeming unhappy in our current positions, sharing your aspirations and interests will make upward mobility more possible. Sharing this information will help you build a positive rapport with others in the company and this in turn will make work more enjoyable for you. Through my own personal experiences, having a positive rapport with people I work with has given me opportunities that I otherwise would not have, and has also allowed me to assume responsibilities that were not initially a part of my role.
While getting friendly with coworkers may seem daunting at first, it is an easy, smooth process that may be achieved by anyone. We spend the majority of our days with those we work with so why not get to know them a bit? Conversations can start at the company Keurig or at the end of a meeting. Simply by greeting a person and asking about their day, weekend, or a project they're working on, you can begin to build a positive rapport. If you're ever unsure about whether or not something should be said, it's probably best to just keep it to yourself. These opinions can later be shared with a friend we don't work with. Over time, these frequent positive interactions will strengthen your working relationship and allow you to reap the professional benefits of being a friendly and personable coworker.
Comments
Post a Comment